Monday, July 9, 2012

Home Fireworks Display Gone Wrong

In our Southwest Chicago Post editorial of June 30, we wrote:

~ ~ ~

According to a National Fire Protection Association report, in 2010 alone, an estimated 15,500 reported fires were started by fireworks and 8,600 fireworks-related injuries were treated in U.S. hospital emergency rooms.

The report also shows that there are more fires on a typical Fourth of July than any other day of the year. Fireworks account for two out of five of those fires, more than any other cause of fires.

The Fireworks report outlines specific statistics regarding how the use of consumer fireworks relates to fire danger including:

  • In 2010, fireworks caused an estimated 15,500 reported fires, including 1,100 structure fires, 300 vehicle fires, and 14,100 outside and other fires.
  • These fires resulted in an estimated eight reported deaths, 60 civilian injuries and $36 million in direct property damage.

~ ~ ~

Sadly but perhaps not unpredictably, a home right here on Chicago's Southwest Side---in the Scottsdale neighborhood at 7855 South Kedvale, became a statistic on Wednesday, July 4 when a home fireworks display went wrong.

The fire was called in at 9:19 p.m. According to a Chicago Fire Department spokesman, CFD Engine 15, Engine 64, Truck 31 and Truck 59 responded to extinguish the fire and check for any unexploded fireworks. Also responding were Battalion Chief 20 and an investigations car. No ambulances were requested. From what we have heard, there were no serious injuries---although there certainly could have been, had things gotten worse.

In the end, a garage burned down.

Today a large Dumpster was sitting in the driveway, filled with the charred ruins of the garage.

And here are a few minutes of the explosions and fire, captured on home video by a neighbor and posted to YouTube:

Best to leave fireworks to licensed professionals.

# # #


  1. I am so sorry for that home owner who ignited them, NOT !!!!!!!!!!! I do feal sorry for his neighbors tho.

  2. It's a very unfortunate situation and thank God no one was hurt...including first responders. Once a year, for a full week in the summer, I volunteer to work with Children that are Burn Survivors. Several of these children recieved their scars from burn injuries due to fireworks. As a parent of three I have always been careful to keep my kids away from the Grill and the Stove like most other parents do. Most stoves only burn at about 550 degrees... A grill a little more. And than on the Fouth of July we hand a Sparkler to our small children because we think it's safe. WRONG... it is very UNSAFE, DANGEROUS, and a big mistake. A SPARKLER BURNS AT 1800 DEGREES. Please protect these children and don't make that mistake. Thank you for showing the video of this unfortunate Fourth of July incident.

    1. Hello, would you like to be interviewed for a study on firework dangers? If so, my email is