Sunday, January 6, 2013

Services Set for 46-Year-Old Man Killed in Saturday Fire in Scottsdale Neighborhood

A worker from a three-man board-up crew examines the roof of the house at 8539 South Knox on Sunday morning, a day after a fire at the home killed 46-year-old Kenneth "Moose" Jurinek.

Chicago Fire Department officials said they learned of the fire at 5:22 p.m. Saturday, that they arrived on scene within three minutes and had extinguished the blaze by 5:45 p.m.

Mr. Jurinek's body was found in a first-floor bathroom, CFD officials said. They added that the fire appears to have started in the basement, in or near a couch.

CFD officials added that they did find a working smoke detector in the home.

Fire officials said that Mr. Jurinek lived at the address with his grandmother, Dolores Fasuga. Mrs. Fasuga was not home at the time of the fire, CFD officials said.

A representative of the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office said today that Mr. Jurinek was pronounced dead at 6:16 p.m. Saturday at Little Company of Mary Hospital. The cause of death was carbon monoxide intoxication and inhalation of smoke and soot from the fire, officials said. His death was ruled accidental, officials added.

Details of the visitation and funeral for Mr. Jurinek--described as "a good soul" in a tribute just posted in the online guest book---have been posted by Ridge Funeral Home.

# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment